Monday, March 10, 2008

...and the bad.

Stetson and I flew back to Cleveland last Tuesday. We had a short layover in Chicago, so we grabbed a bite to eat and boarded the plane. We settled in for the quick hour-long flight -- with an entire row to ourselves -- when the captain informed us that we'd have to wait to take off until the weather cleared up in Cleveland.

An hour and a half later (yes, still on the plane) we were finally told that the flight was canceled. There were no other flights going to Cleveland that night, so Stetson and I were stuck in Chicago overnight with just the diaper bag. Cheap-o Southwest kindly offered to set up cots for us in the terminal. As appealing as that sounded with a one-year-old, I decided to get a hotel. However, several other flights had been canceled before ours, so the seven hotels recommended by the airport (and with 24-hour shuttles) were all full.

By 10:00pm I was tired, frustrated, and still at the airport. Between Lafe, the Wengers and my parents, we were able to find a solution. Thanks to everyone! My parents located a hotel a little farther away with a shuttle. Stetson and I were able to shower, get some sleep, and fly out the next morning. I looked a little rough the next day (wearing a sweatshirt I bought at the airport and no makeup), but the best thing about the airport is that I definitely wasn't the worst looking one!

This little experience has taught me a few things about traveling:
1. Always carry cash. My dad tried to teach me this growing up, but it really rescued me on this trip.
2. Pack way more diapers and wipes than you think you'll need. I had exactly enough -- close call.
3. Make sure your phone is charged. But if it dies and you don't have a charger, you can ask housekeeping at the hotel for ones people have left behind. I was able to find one for my phone and charge it for the next day.
4. Plan for the worst. I ended up in Chicago with no jacket and no toiletries. I should have planned for the chance that I would get stuck in Chicago.
5. Let people help you. Between family and friends helping me find a place to stay and complete strangers helping me get Stetson, the stroller and car seat through security, I received so much help on this trip! What a relief.

I'm glad to be back in Cleveland with Lafe. Stetson and I arrived just a few days before a huge storm blew in. Those pictures on the next post!

3 comments:

Kara Jones said...

Bless your heart. What a hassle. I am sure it was a boost of confidence, way to go survivor! & with little Stetson too, whole different ball game. I have zero desire to travel with Gibson after reading this.

ness said...

are you kidding me? that same thing happened to my friend Val- in chicago. i think the lesson we can all learn is don't go through chicago! you owe yourself a big pity party and a week with no chores.

You asked for it! said...

Lacey I feel so bad for you! Next time you get stuck in Chicago give us a call. We live in the Chicago suburbs and we could have picked you up and you could stay in our guest room. Sorry again! Take care.
Christie (Woffinden) Parrish