"In some ways, this phase of your baby's emotional development will be especially tender for both of you, while in others, it will be painful. After all, his desire to be with you is a sign of attachment to his first and greatest love--namely you. The intensity of his feeling as he hurtles into your arms is irresistible, especially when you realize that no one -- including your baby himself -- will ever again think you are quite as perfect as he does at this age. On the other hand, you may feel suffocated by his constant clinging, while experiencing guilt whenever you leave him crying for you. Fortunately, this emotional roller coaster eventually will subside along with his separation anxiety."
-- Your Baby's First Year, The American Academy of Pediatrics
This describes exactly where Stetson and I are right now. It's good to know we're normal. Sometimes I absolutely adore how attached he is to me, but other times I wish I had a little more personal space. When he's clingy, Stetson makes it difficult to wash dishes, blow dry my hair or snuggle with Lafe. But I'm equally attached. The last time we left him with a sitter, I cried the whole way to dinner. I suppose that's what happens when you spend all day, every day hanging out together. We're best buddies, and I'm enjoying it while it lasts!
3 comments:
You're the best mom! I loved reading that post! Stetson is sure lucky to have you!!!
You being the journalism major, I was so certain it was you who wrote that opening paragraph there.
That boys cheeks are too cute. I want to squeeze them. You are beautiful in this picture. Your relationship with stetson is so sweet. you are a great mommy.
Post a Comment