At what age exactly do you stop thinking, "Yippee! My birthday!" and start grumbling, "Another year older already"? I don't know if I'll ever reach that age. I still get a thrill when I tear August off the calendar to reveal a bright and shiny September. I can barely resist the urge to cross off the days as they near the 27th. To me, September is a magical month, full of possibilities. And 27? Possibly the most enchanted number.
Will I grow out of this eventually? I sure hope not! I love to drag the birthday celebrations out for a whole week...and I feel as deflated on the morning after as I do on December 26. The birthday's over for now, but this year I'm really trying to milk all I can out of this birthday thing. Not only did we party all week here, but Stetson and I are heading to AZ where I'm sure I'll be able to work up a shindig or two. In the meantime, I'll reminisce about this year's celebrating...
After a little research on the internet, I learned that there are all sorts of things you can get for free (or at least discounted) just for being born. We took full advantage this year and enjoyed a gratis Coldstone Creamery "Love It" bowl of ice cream. All it took was a few minutes to register online. Friday night we escaped the kids and headed to Red Robin with the Walkers. My delicious birthday burger was free, too. (I'd be worried that I'm making you jealous, but you can enjoy this free stuff, too! You have a birthday, don't you?) But more importantly, the company was just what I needed after wrestling an ear-infected Stetson all day. Saturday I slept in until an embarrassingly late time, while Lafe managed Stetson and doing all the laundry. That night I enjoyed dinner and the Relief Society broadcast with the women in the ward, and then I came home to cake and ice cream courtesy of Stetson and Lafe. Thanks, boys! It was a great day.
So here's to birthdays -- mine and yours!
6 comments:
Oh man, I'm so sad now that my birthday just passed in Aug! I totally want a free Red Robin burger!!! Oh, and a heads up for you for next year, in 2009 Disneyland lets you in for FREE on your birthday.
I love your blog. This post was so funny. You're a great writer. You must've graduated in journalism or something. :-) I'm so excited you're back; let's play!
by the way, I tagged you! Check out my blog for details. ciao!
I miss you already!!! But I'm glad you came to visit for a little while. I feel like we all got the present when it was your birthday! Hope the flight was nice and I can't wait for December! Take care!!
Way to go on the free stuff! I'm glad you had such a great week!
Post a Comment